Did you say rice cake? Yes please, Gyeongdan are cute little round shaped rice cake balls with a red bean filling. The sweet taste of the red beans goes perfectly with the any topping of your choice. They are great as gifts and treats for friends and family and can be eaten all year round!
C O O K T I M E : 60 minutes
L E V E L : Hard
S E R V I N G S :8
I N G R E D I E N T S:
1 cup Adzuki red beans
1 pinch salt
1 and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon 1 cup brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla
3 cups water
ME T H O D :
2 cups sweet rice flour
2 tbs sugar
3/4 cup boiling water
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp matcha green tea powder
1 tbs black seasame seeds (roasted and ground)
4 tablespoon shredded coconut
1/2 cup sugar
- Wash the beans throughly and soak overnight. Rinse the following day and drain the remaining water
- Boil the beans in a pot the water on high heat and then lower the heat until the beans are soft
- Once the beans have become soft, drain and use a blender to make a paste.
- Put the paste back in the pot. Add sugar, cinnamon, vanilla and salt. Combine well over low heat for 1 minute.
- Add two cups of sweet rice flour, salt and sugar in a bowl.
- Slowly add boiling water to the contents and mix well until a dough texture forms.
- Once the dough has formed set aside using cling film.
- Roast black sesame seeds until they pop in the pan
- Lightly grind using a grinder.
- Separately combine sugar with the Matcha green tea powder.
- Lastly place the shredded coconut in a separate bowl. Three separate bowls should be used.
Rice cake balls:
- Take a small piece of dough mix with a half teaspoon of sugar and form a small ball with your hands
- Fill the dough using 1/2 a tsp of the red bean paste, lightly fold the edges over.
- Pinch the edges to seal the dough. Repeat this process with the remaining dough.
- Using a pot, boil water and place the rice cakes into the pan (make sure they don’t stick to the bottom
- Once they rise to the top they are ready to be placed in a bowl of cold water.
- Wait a few minutes and then take them out and let them dry
- Roll the sticky rice cakes into one of the toppings and gently cover the ball all over
- Repeat with your desired topping option.