Kimchi Jjigae is often found boiling on the stove in a Korean household, and it’s super easy to cook! The kimchi adds a powerful kick to the broth and keeps us feeling warm from the inside out, making it top of our list for winter.
Cook time: 45 mins
180g of beef/pork
3/4 cup kimchi
1 small onion
1/2 spring onion
1/2 package of tofu
1 teaspoon of salt
2 teaspoons of sugar
2 teaspoons hot pepper flakes
1 tablespoon gochujang (hot pepper paste)
1 teaspoon sesame oil
2 cups of anchovy/beef broth
- Cut and slice the kimchi and meat into small bite sized pieces. The kimchi juice will be used later on.
- In an earthenware pot, cook the meat and the kimchi together over medium high heat, this is so that the kimchi can soften up and the meat pre cooks for about 10 mins.
- Chop the small onion, spring onion and sliced the tofu.
- Pour in the anchovy broth and let it boil for about 5 minutes.
- Add 2 cups of water and the kimchi juice saved earlier.
- Add in the previously chopped onion, spring and stir with a wooden spoon before placing sliced tofu neatly on top.
- Add the sesame oil, salt, sugar and gochujang and mix. Turn the heat down to medium and cook for about 15 mins.
Featured image: ©Kimchi tofu soup, Inspire me Korea, 29.07.2018, inspiremekorea.com