What Exactly is Kimchi Fried Rice? (김치 볶음밥)
Kimchi Fried Rice is one of the “go to” recipes in every Korean home. Tired, feeling lazy, or maybe drunk but you are hungry? The answer is kimchi fried rice. Haven’t gone to the store? Perhaps you are a college student and tired of ramen. The answer is kimchi fried rice.
When you look into every Korean kitchen you are likely to find 2 things in common: kimchi and rice. Add in a few more items and cook it up and you have a quick, simple and delicious meal.
The History of Kimchi Fried Rice
As with many Korean foods, it goes back to the time when most people in Korea were poor. They would start to run out of things to cook and the ingenious women would think of something delicious to still feed their families. So, with a few scraps, some rice and the ever present kimchi, this amazing dish was born.
Now it has become a common staple on virtually every Korean table. Even in many restaurants when you have finished the main course. The server will return with a plate of rice and a bowl of kimchi. Right before your eyes they turn that and your leftovers into culinary heaven.
How Can You Get The Main Ingredient?
In most markets you may not find kimchi easily but, if it is there, you will probably find it in the produce section’s specialty section. However, if you want the best kimchi, you will need to go to a true Asian food store or your closest “Korea/China-town” to get it homemade.
Our recipe was shared with us by a dear friend. She is a hard working wife and mother of 2. So you know that she has a lot of practice at pleasing a picky eater. Her recipe is an adaptation of her mother’s family recipe. Tried, tested and proven over many generations. Each mother changing it slightly to make it their own before passing it on to their own children. Now its your turn. Give tis delicious recipe a try and then try adding your own spin on it. As always, we hope you will let us know how it turned out!
Kimchi Fried Rice 김치 볶음밥
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 10-15 minutes
3 Cups Cooked White Rice
½ Cup Kimchi
2 Tablespoons Sugar (can substitute Rice Syrup or Honey)
½ of a Small Canned Ham
1 Large Egg
1 Tablespoon Sesame Oil
Sesame Seeds as Garnish
1. Dice the ham into small cubes.
2. Using kitchen shears, cut the kimchi into thin bite sized pieces. (**Avoid using a knife, most of the juice from the kimchi will be lost to the cutting board if you do**)
3. Heat the oil in a frying pan, add the ham, kimchi and sugar and fry on medium heat until ham is heated through.
4. Add in the rice and mix until it is completely coated with the kimchi mixture. Fry until rice starts to crisp a little
5. Set finished rice aside and fry egg to your preferred liking.
6. Serve rice topped with fried egg and garnish with a sprinkle of sesame seeds.
7. Enjoy by yourself or with friends and family! Korean food always tastes better when shared!