This month, we’re bringing you a burst of colour and culinary joy with our updated Vegan Bibimbap and Veggie Bowl how-to! This staple Korean dish is super-easy to make – and it’s a perfect way to get rid of all those leftover veggies! The name Bibimbap (‘비빔밥’) literally means ‘mixed rice’, and given its popularity among Koreans when kicking back with some good food, we’re thrilled to share this recipe with you in keeping with our RELAX theme of the month! This dish is easily adaptable to one’s taste and preferences depending on the type of vegetables you want to add! What makes it a signature and easily recognisable dish is how the vegetables are cut into long, thin shapes along with its distinctively hot and delicious red pepper gochujang (고추장) sauce.
Let’s check it out!
Total cook time: 45 minutes
1 1/2 tbsp sesame oil
4 cups rice
Vegetables of your choice – recommended:
carrots, spinach, shiitake mushrooms, zucchini, bean sprouts
Sauce: Gochujang tube
- Tempeh (An alternative to meat made from soybean and/or grain. Most often found in natural food sections, and the refrigerated sections of health food stores.)
- Sesame seeds to garnish
1. Optional: If using Tempeh, simmer for 8-10 minutes in seasoned water.
2.Bulgogi: mix the sauce ingredients together in a medium-sized bowl. Add Tempeh and toss. Leave to marinate in the fridge for 30minutes – 2 hours.
3. Put rice into a saucepan and leave on low heat and do not stir. This will create a crispy golden layer at the bottom. Be careful it does not burn.
4. Cut all vegetables in thin, long slices and stir-fry them in a pan separately and set aside.
5. Take out the marinated Tempeh from the fridge.
6. Scoop out the rice into 8 bowls. Lay each of the vegetables on top of the rice, with the Tempeh in the middle.
7. Add sesame seeds on top to garnish
8. Optional: Serve some seasoned Korean bean sprouts as a side-dish with your bibimbap!
Kick back with this power-packing veggie bowl and snap a few shots before you chow down! Make sure to tag us in all your photos @inspiremekorea.
Featured Image: ©Bibimbap, Inspire Me Korea, 25.08.2018, inspiremekorea.com