What exactly IS Honey Brick Toast?
Honey brick toast, for those of you who have never experienced it, is a delicious and immensely popular Korean Café Dessert. Traditional Korean Brick Toast is made with square-shaped sandwich bread, which is then lathered in honey and butter, then baked in the oven. Magic.
Originating from Japan, this yummy sweet treat has increased in popularity since it began to spread across Asia, and having experienced an evolution along the way, it now comes in many forms.
Japanese Shibuya Honey Brick toast – This incredible piece of culinary art has taken the average slice of bread and instead, has revolutionized its use by using it as a bowl! The insides are first scooped out, then baked with butter and honey. Expect to find vast quantities of cream and chocolate sauce served within. This is truly what dreams are made of.
Other varieties include a mouth-watering blend of Nutella and banana, and for something a little less front-seat and a little more laid back, you can also have it filled with heaps of Ice cream and fruit.
Brick toast is only limited by your imagination, and we encourage you to go out and try as many varieties as your sweet tooth can handle. You can find brick toast in lots of different cafes throughout Seoul where you can enjoy this dessert at practically any time of day. (We know we do!)
If you find yourself in Soho London, you can try this delicious treat at Gaza café which specialises in Korean desserts. They also make an incredible Patbingsoo (A Korean shaved iced dessert).
Thick unsliced sandwich bread.
1½ tablespoons clear honey (can be any honey as long as it is clear and doesn’t have a strong flavour.)
2 tablespoons unsalted butter (30g)
Anything your heart desires.
- Preheat oven to 360 degrees F (180c).
- Slice the unsliced sandwich bread into 2 ½ inch thick slices (6cm).
- Inside of the bread, make 2 incisions horizontally and another 2 incisions vertically (make sure you don’t cut all the way through).
- Drizzle 1 ½ tablespoons of honey into the incisions.
- Evenly and generously spread 2 tablespoons of unsalted butter all over the top.
- Bake in the oven for 10 minutes.
- To serve, dust with ground cinnamon. Then, add a heap of whipped cream. To finish, drizzle a helping of chocolate sauce on top.