We all know the struggle of going to painstakingly long lengths to get our nails looking lit…or at least decent! 🙂 There are many variables to take into account when it comes to the proper nail care routine. Today, we will be taking a closer look at Korean nail care for both men & women. Yes, men, this article is for you too!
What are my nails made of?
Nails are primarily made up of a hardened protein called alpha-keratin. Nails are actually composed of multiple layers and the hard part, called the plate, is the last layer. These layers can be damaged quite easily and, depending on the person, can be really delicate. Nails are so cool though, they are an awesome way to keep track of your overall health. Changes in colour and texture of your nails can tell you a lot about the health of your body overall! Just with this knowledge, it is easy to understand why it is important for us to look after our nails.
What do my nails need to be healthy?
A few things actually! Below are a few tips and pieces of advice on what your nails need and don’t need to be healthy~~~
- Vitamins and minerals – A must for healthy strong nails! In particular biotin, iron, zinc, calcium, magnesium and omega 3 fatty acids.
- Water – 2 litres for the average adult is necessary every day.
- De-stress – Stress is one of the worst beauty enemies! It causes so many problems for our bodies, so, be sure to de-stress, okay? Koreans love to de-stress by listening to ASMR, it is common to see people listening to ASMR on subways, in cafes, and on their way to and from work.
- Massage – Lack of blood flow to the nails can cause nails to be weak and break often. Koreans have used ancient techniques of massage for years and it does wonders for your circulation. You can go see a specialist in massage or do it yourself…or get your bestie to do it for you…because what are friends for? ^-^
- Mani/Pedi – Here and there manicures are brilliant, however, when overdone it really does take its toll. Try and keep manicures and pedicures to a minimum, make it a treat, not a routine.
- Gloves – When washing dishes or cleaning it is really important to wear gloves to protect your hands and nails from becoming weak. Make it a rule to always use gloves!
- Moisturize – It is imperative to moisturize your hands and feet paying extra attention to your nails, using oils is a very popular way for Koreans to moisturize their nails and cuticles. Almond, coconut, argan, olive or any other kind of oil really…preferably organic extra virgin!
- Cut and shape – Cutting your nails and shaping them with a nail file is really important for the growth of the nail.
- Nail Masks – Super popular way to pamper yourself in Korea, especially when you are constantly painting them and using nail polish remover.
- Biting – Biting your nails is one of the biggest NOOOOOOOs in the beauty world! Cut out this bad habit at all costs!
So what products should I use?
There are a plethora of different Korean nail products and most of them are ‘holy grail’ products for many people! Here are some of our favourite products, we totally recommend you check them out.
1. Skinfood – Nail Vita
Skinfood has a whole nail vita range of nail products from pine nut cuticle oil to pineapple cuticle cleaner to natural nail strengtheners and essences, plus most of their nail polishes contain keratin and vitamins that are essential for your nails health.
2. Innisfree – Nail Serum & Nail Strengtheners
Innisfree is a brand that is very trusted in the Korean market, they’re nail products range from serums & strengthening oils to masks and moisturizers. You can’t go wrong with Innisfree!
3. Etude House – Help My Finger
Etude House carry a range of nail care products called ‘Help My Finger’ designed to help bring out the best in your nails, keeping them healthy and strong!
Kokostar – Hand Mask
A favourite for many people, KOCOSTAR have created a product to add gloss, elasticity, moisture and protection to the nail. We recommend you pick up one of these little treasures if you ever get the chance, they usually sell out pretty fast!
A’PIEU – +Care My Nails
Containing keratin and a bunch of other necessary lovelies, A’PIEU’s +Care My Nails line will have your nails looking and feeling wonderful in no time!
Almost any Korean beauty brand will have a line designed especially for nails, it is definitely worth checking out your favourite brand’s nail products. Using products on your nails is a great way to boost the health of your nails, however, it is important that you don’t rely only on products. Nail health begins from the inside out! Please take care of yourselves, this is the best way to achieve beautiful nails! ^-^
Have any questions for us regarding this article? Want to chat about K-Beauty? Comment below, or find us on Social Media!
Want to experience more of Korean culture? Why not subscribe now to the Inspire Me Korea CULTURE box to receive a box of goodies sent to your door every month? We ship internationally! Find out more here
Featured Image Source: © 865121, picjumbo_com, Pixabay, 04.06.2018, https://pixabay.com