Bored of the normal cabbage kimchi? How about try this version with cucumber as the spotlight? This is a super easy and healthy side dish that will complement just about any Korean main dish! Check out the recipe below.
TOTAL COOK TIME: 30 mins
10 small kirby cucumbers
1 cup buchu 부추 (asian chives)
1 cup onion
4 garlic cloves
2 tbs salt
1 tbs sugar
1/2 cup hot pepper flakes
2 tablespoons of fish sauce
1/4 cup water
1 tbs sesame seeds
- Slice the washed cucumbers length wise four times, only slice so that they are still attached at the base.
- In a large bowl, pour some salt in your hands and rub them all over the cucumbers, covering both the inside and the outside, let the cucumbers sit for about 15 mins and then rinse them off with cold water. Set them aside.
- Cut the carrot into matchsticks, thinly slice the onion, mince the garlic and chop the chives into 1/2 inch pieces.
- In a separate bowl combine the hot pepper flakes, fish sauce, chives, sesame seeds, carrot, onions, garlic, sugar and water and throughly mix with a wooden spoon.
- Using plastic gloves, stuff the mix ingredients into the cucumbers evenly and serve cold.
Image source: Flickr