Tired of having the same old Christmas dinner every year? Well why not shake it up a bit with a Korean twist? Keep reading to find out more on how to make the perfect turkey – Korean style!
PREP TIME: 30 Minutes
COOK TIME: 15 Minutes
500g turkey fillet, ideally cut into strips
1/2 bunch spring onions, thinly sliced plus extra to garnish
1 carrot cut lengthways, then thinly sliced
2 small lettuce heads with the leaves separated
4 finely chopped garlic cloves
1/4 cup (65g) firmly packed brown sugar
1tbs toasted sesame seeds
1/2 cup (125ml) light soy sauce
100ml mirin (sweet Japanese rice wine)
2 tbs sesame oil
1 1/2 tbs sunflower oil
1/4 cup (70g) ssamjang 쌈장 (spicy bean paste)
Kimchi and mint leaves
- Mix the brown sugar, light soy sauce, garlic, sesame oil, sesame seeds and spring onions together in a large bowl along with a large pinch of salt. Pour over the turkey strips and make sure it is covered well with the sauce. Cover the bowl with cling film and marinate in the fridge for approximately 2 hours.
- Take the marinated turkey out of the fridge and let it warm to room temperature.
- Heat up 2 teaspoons of sunflower oil in a pan at medium to high heat. Then strain the turkey from the marinade and throw away the excess. Stir-fry the turkey for around 2-3 minutes until it’s cooked through. If your pan is small, cook the turkey in 3 batches, wiping the pan with a paper towel between batches and add more sunflower oil if necessary.
- Put all the turkey back in the pan and add the carrot and stir-fry for another 3 minutes or until the carrot is tender.
- When serving, put enough turkey on each lettuce leaf and place on a serving plate. Use the ssamjang 쌈장, kimchi, mint and any leftover spring onions.
Inspire Me Korea Top Tip: If you have time, leave the turkey to marinate in the fridge overnight for the best results
We hope you enjoy this easy recipe!
Featured Image Source: © adiosmary, 11.12.16, www.pixabay.com