Rice cake soup is a must during the celebrations of the Korean New Year (설날)! It is not difficult, and very filling.
Make it easily at your own home!
TOTAL COOK TIME: 40 minutes SERVINGS: 2-3
500g of round sliced rice cake
7 cups of water
250g of beef brisket cut into small pieces
3 garlic cloves minced 1 sheet of seaweed
1 green onion cut thinly
Put the rice cakes into a big bowl and add cold water to cover over the top of the rice cakes. Set aside for 30minutes.
- Boil the 7 cups of water in a saucepan and add the beef and garlic
- Lower the heat to let the soup simmer for 20minutes
- Crack the 2 eggs and separate the whites and yolks. Add a pinch of salt and pepper to season both.
- On a frying pan, add a little oil and pour in the yolk thinly to make an omelette
- Set aside and leave to cool
- Drain the rice cakes and add to the boiling soup. Add seasoning according to taste. Cover the saucepan and leave to simmer for 5-6minutes.
- Pour in the egg whites and stir. Add the spring onion and sesame oil
- Turn off the heat and pour into bowls to serve
- Cut the seaweed sheet and egg yolk omelette into thin slices and add on top of each bowl to garnish.